I had a blog that I shut down approximately a year ago, and you guys, I've missed this. So I thought that I would pick up where I left off and focus on what is most relevant in my life today. I am officially now a working mama.
A pregnant, working mama. This means that I am tired a LOT. It means that I wake up at 5:30 every morning (including weekends because consistency!), get our little babe ready for the day while my husband and I stumble around the washroom in an attempt to get ready for work. I get dressed, spend a few minutes snuggling our little babe, prepare breakfast and lunch and I'm off. I'm usually at work at 7:00 every day after a 30 minute commute each way.
My husband drops off our daughter at daycare and he's off to work as well. And I spend the day looking at spreadsheets and attending meetings before I get to see her again. These days, I'm a lot more tired as well because I am also simultaneously growing a human being in my body!
This type of life might seem like a nightmare to some, but it really works for our family for the following reasons.
1. Daycare - My daughter attends a wonderful daycare and she LOVES it. She gets so excited when dropped off in the morning because she has 2 little baby best friends there. It is the cutest thing in the world to see, and my daughter is learning SO much while being there.
2. I Love To Work - I spent 7 years in school (4 university, 3 post-university) specializing in my field and I feel really accomplished in my work. I am now at the point in my career where I am moving up in seniority and am continuing to grow my skills and expand my capabilities.
3. Financial Bonuses - 2 paychecks allows for us to live the type of life we want to live, and for that I am very grateful.
4. Quality Time - I am fortunate in my career that I am able to shut my working brain off after work and focus on my family brain. This means that the time I spend with my daughter from 4:00PM until her bedtime at 7:30-8 ish is QUALITY time. We go on adventures, make meals together, etc. where my attention is fully on her. And I am actively trying to limit my use of social networks during this time but that's a blog post for another day.
5. It Works For Our Family - Period. A lot of people assume that I "have" to work, rather than wanting to work for a living. My mom has always been a working mom, a business woman and this is something I always looked up to as a child. I feel like a lot of my ambition is directly related to how I was raised and seeing how much my parents have achieved in their lives.
Now does it become difficult juggling everything from time to time? Absolutely. Some days are much tougher than others, especially if I get that phone call from daycare to pick my daughter up, or if I wake up with an excessive amount of nausea one morning. But i'm grateful to have such a supportive husband and extended family that jumps in and helps us out when needed and somehow we have figured out how to make everything work. Now throwing in another baby will be a whole different thing, but I'm hoping we will find another balance that works for us in the future.
Happy Thursday all!